Use the Short-term Capital Gain sheet to record interest received in the form of short-term capital gain. Since the short-term capital gain is a cash distribution to the shareholders, it will be added to your cash balance.
Note: The short-term capital gain should be recorded using this investment type and not by using the Long-term Capital Gain sheet, because the taxation rules are different for them.
To record the reinvested short-term capital gain, use the Reinvest short-term Capital Gain sheet.
To record short-term capital gain
- In the sidebar, select the investment account you want to use.
- Click the Transactions tab and then click the New Transaction icon in the register toolbar.
- Select Income > Short-term Capital Gain from the Transaction Types list.
- Add the information for:
- Date - Enter the date of payment or deposit.
- Security - Select the security for the dividend income that you want to record.
- Distribution Amount - Enter the amount of long-term capital gain income.
- Memo - Enter the note you want to associate with the transaction.
- Tags - Enter the tags that you want to use when searching for the transaction.
- To add an attachment, go to the Attachments tab, click the Add attachment button, and select the file you want to attach to the transaction.
- Click Save when you are done.