When you add a new account, Quicken adds it to the Account List (choose Tools menu > Account List). In most cases, you'll want to add all of your household's accounts in the same Quicken data file, so that you can track all your finances in one place.
- Select the Add Account icon on the top right of the Account Bar.
You can also add a new account by selecting Tools → Add Account from the top menu.
- Click Other Assets & Liabilities.
- Select Car, Truck, Van, RV.
- During the setup process, you'll be asked a few questions.
- What is the name you'd like to use for this account?
Enter the name you want to use to refer to the account in Quicken. This name will appear in reports, and in the Quicken interface.
- What is this account primarily used for?
If you are using Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property, choose the primary use of the account: Personal (which is the default), Business, or Rental Property. Your selection determines where in the Quicken interface (on which tab) the account appears. You can change this from the Account List later if you wish. the account appears. You can change this from the Account List later if you wish.
- Select a currency for the account (Optional)If you have set up Quicken to track multiple currencies, select one from the list. If you decide you need to change the currency for the account, you can do so only if you haven't entered any transactions except the opening balance.
- Tell Quicken about the vehicle you'd like to track
- Enter the vehicle make/manufacturer, model, and year.
- Enter the purchase date and price of your vehicle.
- What if you don't know the purchase price?If you don't remember, enter zero. The new account will be added with an opening balance of $0.00, as of today. You can edit this amount later.
- What if you don't know the purchase price?
- Enter the estimated value of your vehicle. Doing so will let you track your equity in the vehicle.
- Is there a loan on this vehicle?
If you have a loan, click Yes and choose one of the following options:
- I'd like to track this loan in Quicken. Set up a new account for this. Quicken walks you through the steps to add a loan to track the payment schedule, principal, and interest, and a liability account to track your loan balance, which is used in your Net Worth report. For more information, see Set up a loan or mortgage.
- I'm already tracking the loan in Quicken. Select existing account. In the drop-down list, select the appropriate loan account.
- I do not want to track the loan in Quicken.