If you need to move a Quicken data file from one computer to another (for example, from your home computer to your business computer), you can use the Quicken Restore function to restore backed-up files to a different computer.
- Install Quicken on the target computer (the one you want to move data to).
- Can I use the same data file on two computers?
To move your Quicken data file between two computers and use the data file on both of them, make sure that you have the same version of Quicken installed on both computers. If you move your Quicken data file from one computer to another computer that has a newer version of Quicken, Quicken automatically converts your data file for use in the newer version of Quicken, and your data file can no longer be used in the previous version of Quicken.
- What if I use Quicken Online Backup?
If you're restoring your data from Quicken Online Backup, you need to install Quicken Online Backup on the target computer. You can do this by following the instructions for reinstalling the Online Backup client.
- On the computer with the data file you want to move, choose File menu > Backup and Restore > Back up Quicken File to back up your data file to an external source, such as USB drive or a disk.
- What if both computers can't use the same media?
If both computers cannot use the same backup media (for example, a CD), consider backing up to something that both computers can share, like a USB drive.
- On the target computer, connect the USB drive or insert the disk in the appropriate drive.
- Choose File menu > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File, and navigate to the external disk to restore the data file.
- Select the file you want, and click OK.
- This procedure moves a Quicken for Windows data file from one Windows computer to another Windows computer. If you want to move a Quicken for Macintosh data file to a computer that is running Quicken for Windows, you must export the data file. Instructions for exporting Quicken for Windows data into Quicken for Mac can be found at Quicken Support.
- What if there is a CD problem when I back up or restore my Quicken data file?
- General troubleshooting information about Quicken's backup and restore feature is available in-product and on the Web.