You can memorize a transaction to use exact amounts or percentages. For example, if you wanted to split a utility bill between you and a roommate, you could have Quicken calculate the amounts for you each time you enter the utility bill.
You can also do this in the Write Checks window.
- Open the account you want to use. In the register, enter the date and payee as usual.
- Enter the total amount of the transaction in the Payment or Deposit field.
- On the transaction toolbar, click the Split icon ( ).
- In the Split dialog, type or select a category for the first line item.
- In the Amount column, enter the appropriate percentage.
- Tell me more about using the Split dialogThe first line shows the total amount of the transaction. Select it and type a number followed by the percent (%) sign. Then click Next. For example, type 60 percent on the first line and 40 percent on the second line. When you enter a percentage and then move to the next field, Quicken calculates the dollar amount.
- Tell me more about using the Split dialog
- Fill out as many split lines as you need.
- Enter a memo for each item. (Optional)
- Click OK to close the Split Transaction window.
- Click the Edit button, and choose Memorize payee.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to memorize the payee with percentages.
- Click OK again to memorize the transaction.
- Click Save to record the transaction in the register.
To use a split transaction with percentages
- Scroll to the bottom of the register or Write Checks window, and select the new transaction line.
- In the Payee field, enter the payee associated with the split transaction you want to use, and press the TAB key.
- Enter the total dollar amount when Quicken asks for it.
- Click OK.
- Click Save.
Quicken enters the transaction for the amount you specify, with the dollar amount split according to the percentages stored for the memorized payee.