Record a bill
To get the most benefit from tracking accounts payable, record bills in your accounts payable register as soon as you receive them and then schedule the payment. That way, Quicken reminds you when it's time to pay the vendor. (Think of the register entry as an electronic version of the invoice you received from your vendor.)
If you make a mistake, or a mistake in the original invoice is later corrected, you can edit
the bill at any time.
- Click the Business tab.
- Click the Business Actions , and choose Bills and Vendors > Create Bill.
- In the Bill form, enter the name of the vendor you're paying.
- If this is the first time you've paid this vendor, QuickFill memorizes the name. The next time you pay this vendor, you can select the name in the list.
- Click Assign Project/Job. In the Select Project/Job dialog, you can select the project/job (and, by extension, the customer) for which you purchased goods or services from the vendor you need to pay. If you need to create a new project/job, click New and fill out the New Project/Job dialog. (Optional)
- In the Business Tag field, select the tag for the business you are paying the vendor from.
- Enter the vendor's address. (Optional)
- If the vendor name and address exist in Address Book, Quicken fills in the address for you.
- Quicken displays today's date, but you can change it using the pop-up calendar. (Optional)
- Enter the due date (the expected date of payment).
- Quicken enters the due date as 30 days after today's date, but you can change it.
- In the P.O. Number field, enter the purchase order number for tracking purposes. (Optional)
- Select an expense category in the list.
- If the expense category doesn't exist, you can add a new one. Enter the name of the new category, and then click the next field (the Description column). When Quicken asks if you want to create a new category, click Yes. Quicken displays the Set Up Category dialog. Fill in the information Quicken requests, and then click OK.
- Enter a description of the service or item. (Optional)
- If this is an expensable item which you want to include on a customer invoice, click in the E (reimbursable expenses) column. (Optional)
- Enter the amount.
- Click Save and Done to record the transaction in the Bills register, or click Create Payment to open a payment dialog where you can record the payment transaction in the register now. (Click Create Payment only if you enter payments at the same time that you enter bills.)
This feature requires Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property. Learn how you can upgrade Quicken in minutes.