Use the Reinvest Interest transaction type to record the interest amount reinvested in the same holding. Since this purchase is made out of the interest received, there is no impact on your cash balance.
Note: Your broker may mention interest payment and its investment in shares as two transactions in your account statement. You need to remember this when reconciling your account.
To add a reinvested interest transaction in Quicken
- In the sidebar, select the investment account you want to use.
- Click the Transactions tab and then click the New Transaction icon in the register toolbar.
- Select Reinvest > Interest from the Transaction Types list.
- Add the reinvested interest information:
- Date - Enter the date of purchase. This is important if you want to track complete investment performance and tax information.
- Security - Select the security that you're purchasing shares of.
- Interest - Enter the interest received for the shares of the security bought.
- Number of Shares - Enter the number of shares bought by reinvesting the interest.
- Commission - Enter the amount paid towards commission per share.
- Total Cost or Price per share - Enter the total cost of the shares on the date of transfer or the price paid per share on the date of transfer. Either can be used to calculate your investment amounts.
- Memo - Enter the note you want to associate with the transaction.
- Tags - Enter the tags that you want to use when searching for the transaction.
- Click Save when you are done.